The first obstacle

At first light I had a closer look at the entrance to the Tomb. It has a huge, heavy stone door and I knew I would not be able to just push it open. I spend a few hours examining the walls all around the doorway and eventually found a hidden switch that made the doors slowly swing open. A huge cloud of dust came pouring out the entrance and the smell in the air reminded me of old books and libraries.





I could not believe I was finally standing inside this amazing tomb, I actually had to laugh at myself when I realised I was holding my breath with anticipation. There was no sound inside the first chamber and my heart was beating so fast it sounded like drums in my ears.





I had a look around and found a keystone on the floor that opened a door to the second chamber. I noticed a large pile of ancient coins in one corner of the chamber and in the middle there was a stone pool full of water; beyond that I could see a passage leading to another chamber. I was lucky to notice the firetrap switch in the passage before stepping on it and was able to deactivate it thanks to all the research books I have been reading on traps.

The next chamber also had a stone pool in it and a door that would not open no matter what I tried. Eventually I decided to explore the pool and with my second breath I discovered a secret lever right at the bottom of the pool. It took some effort to get it to move but once I managed it the door in the chamber opened all by itself.





I went down a set of stone steps to the lower levels of the tomb and as I got to the bottom I finally saw it; the legendary Flame Fruit. It was magnificent, there were three bushes but only the one bush had a ripe fruit on it. The fruit glowed in the dark like a red jewel I could hardly believe I finally found one.





My parents wrote about the legend of the Flame Fruit but in all the time they spend in Al Simhara they never managed to find any. I was not even sure if it really existed - but here it was lighting up the dark tomb with its brilliant glow.

I carefully picked the ripe fruit and put it in my backpack; now that I knew they were real I simply had to find more.

By this time though I was exhausted so I found a chamber that was just big enough for me to set my tent up. This way I will be able to get some rest without having to leave the tomb. I figured out how to use the timer on my camera, so here is a picture of me getting ready to spend my first night sleeping in an ancient tomb, I just hope I don't run into any mummies tonight.



Love,
Harriet

No comments:

Post a Comment