Days in the desert

I spend three days roughing it in the desert before I finally found the first uncut Turquoise at the foot of one of the great pyramids. It was incredible to see the pyramids up close for the first time since getting to Egypt. I wish I had more time to explore them but that will have to wait till another day.





I found the second piece of Turquoise next to a peaceful oasis. I decided to pitch my tent next to the small water hole and even tried my hand at fishing, it was very relaxing but I did not have much luck with the fish. I was wonderful to get out of the desert heat for a few hours and enjoy the gentle shade and sound of the fish splashing in the water.





The next morning I set off before the sun was out to avoid the worse of the hear and managed to find another three pieces of Turquoise near an old ruin. Now I have enough pieces to keep Inji happy and even a piece for myself.

I’ll head back to civilization tomorrow and deliver the gems but for now I want to spend one last night sleeping between the dunes and listening to the beetles as they scurry around.

Life and the desert can be hard but I find the solitude strangely comforting.

Love,
Harriet

No comments:

Post a Comment